“Politics ought to be the part-time profession of every citizen who would protect the rights and privileges of free men.” - Dwight D. Eisenhower
Let's Talk Democracy, formerly It's Who We Are (IWWA), is a Queens-based, grass roots, non-partisan organization started by a group of Forest Hills residents to provide an understanding of civics and to empower citizens through knowledge and dialogue. It is our hope that this will make us more active and effective citizens, create constructive dialogue in our deeply divided society and serve to chip away at the 50% non-voter rate.
Let’s Talk Democracy is dedicated to educating people about our government, encouraging dialogue about the basic foundations of our democracy, and empowering citizens of Forest Hills, Queens and beyond to make their voices heard. We provide classes, seminars, and discussion forums in the belief that informed knowledgeable residents emerge energized to actively participate in the democratic process.
Let’s Talk Democracy will be a local resource where individuals and grass roots groups can:
1) learn about issues affecting their lives and how to engage with government to address them
2) forge alliances with partners
3) be catalysts for change
CORE TEAM - STEERING COMMITTEES
Many Thanks to Our Supporters
- We are deeply grateful to Queens College Professor Michael Krasner for his scholastic contributions to our first workshop series. His willingness to show up to our first session in spite of a personal injury that day is a testiment to his unfailing commitment to our cause.
- We greatly appreciate the extraordinary support of The Taft Institute at Queens College and the help that allowed us to realize our dream.
- We are very grateful to Queens Library for their ongoing support of our organization and to the Forest Hills branch in particular for providing a welcoming venue for our events and activities.
- Special thanks to the NY Public Library and the Seward Park Branch for their help in our expansion to Manhattan.